You Are Reading

OUGD402 : It's Up To You - Logo Research

As this brief is about self promotion I think it might be time to come up with a logo which I can use to promote myself. In order to do this successfully I researched into some of the existing logos which are used within the industry and for other brands.  I find that with logos that type and image is commonly used but some are also just type. I have found some logos which I think work well with type or type and image.


Type

Some logos use type as image which is something we have been introduced to when we started the course. I think doing this is very clever and ensures that the logo is not produced in a stereotypical font which anyone can find on the internet. 

This designer has used extra lines to alter the appearance of the word dry. The addition has created an image within the type of a wine glass. This will spark an association with the topic and also explain the brand in a simple way.





Some logos such as this one do not give anything away from the font or images used within the design. This logo for landed gives the audience no pointers as to what it is promoting. 



Logos such as this are very effective for promoting someones personality. I want my logo to do this and I think with just type though I will experiment with image. 



This is one of my favourites of the logos I have found as it has used placement to suggest the meaning of the brand. I think that by using this method it will enable the logo to be memorable and easily understood. 





Type and Image

Using an image which is commonly associated with the topic of promotion is a good way to entice people to look at/identify the purpose of the brand. I really like how this image has been altered to look like two hands inside a football which enables the link to be made possibly without the type.


Using a symbol which represents the brand is a very important thing as people are usually more prone to remembering image rather than text. In this case the knife is commonly associated with chefs and the culinary industry. Placing the knifes into a C shape makes a link to the name of the brand and would enable the image to work separately to the text. 


Using an object to reference from a fairytale has proved very helpful within this logo for beer. The reference to Alice in Wonderland will be recognised by many people both young and old. Doing this, I think has added a quirky edge to the logo but will also entice more people to look at the brand. 


Image has been used to complete the name of this brand, this is risky as it relies on the audience having the knowledge of chess to understand the brand name. 



This example has used negative space to include image into the logo. The image of a lark gives more meaning to the brand name and adds a more personal touch, I think. 


Overlapping two letterforms has made an image within this logo. On first glance I saw an M which had extra lines added to look like a doctor with a stethoscope around their necks, when looking again it was clear that the letters M and H had been overlapped. This gives a double interpretation to the logo and also makes it more interesting. 


Shapes are used in everyday life and the play button is something many people will have come across. Using this symbol within the Google Play logo helps the audience to make a connection to the program and what it does. 


Some logos use an image simply to improve the look of the brand. I think this silver image has been added to give an insight into the brand but I think it would not be lost without it. 



Cultural symbols can assist an audience to make a connection to brand. 


Some brand such as Koala Ranch do not necessarily need the image to go with the logo but it can be very effective in drawing the eyes of the audience. 




This is more literal example of including image into branding. I do not think it warrants the image within this logo but it does enforce the overall feel of the brand more which can be seen as a positive. 

My logo ideas...






Comments for this entry

Leave your comment

 

Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.

RSS Feed. This blog is proudly powered by Blogger and uses Modern Clix, a theme by Rodrigo Galindez. Modern Clix blogger template by Introblogger.