You Are Reading

OUGD502: PPP - Life's a Pitch Research

After choosing our group we got together to come up with a list of jobs and research topics that we each needed to complete. Though it would be beneficial for us to research into each aspect of business we simply do not have the time as we have other modules and hand-ins at the same time.

I was given Target Audience to look into. I have completed an A-Level and GSCE in Media Studies where I was required to look into Target Audience quite extensively so I was very happy to look into this. There are a few main areas of the target audience that I need to look into in a lot of detail, these are:


  • Demographic
  • Income
  • Gender
  • Age
  • Why they would want to work with us?
  • Ethics of the company
  • Where the company will be based - travel expenses and phone bill etc.

__

Demographic:


- NRS social grades

The NRS social grades are a system of demographic classification used in the United Kingdom. They were originally developed by the National Readership Survey to classify readers, but are now used by many other organisations for wider applications and have become a standard for market research.[1] They were developed over 50 years ago and achieved widespread usage in 20th Century Britain. Their definition is now maintained by the Market Research Society.[2]


__


After looking at these social grades I have come to the decision that, if we had to market to a specific demographic we would market for ABC1 social grade. This decision is based on the prices we have come up with to charge our clients. We are charging over £50 an hour per project which I personally think requires a larger disposable income as branding and graphic design is not considered to be a vital aspect of some peoples business plan.

I am prepared for the question of prejudice to be raised at the end of the presentation. I think that I should justify my choices and prove that we are not simply ruling out the working classes. 

I would consider myself and my family to be on the cusp of working class and middle class. Harrison and Sam would also consider their familes to be working class. Laura and Issy would be more likely to be within the demographic of our target audience which is incredibly beneficial for our group. They have a contextual knowledge of some companies and businesses that myself, Harrison and Sam do not have, and vise versa. 

I stand by my choice to define our target audience and have full support from my group to do so. 

Research on target audience:

I looked on the internet at effective ways to define a target audience, my findings brought me to a few documents with small tasks to complete in order to properly define a target audience. 


I printed this document purely for the line Targeting a specific market does not mean that you to exclude people that do not fit your criteria. 

I think that though it is important to have a defined target audience we cannot afford to be picky. Some members of the group disagree with me but I think that by being open to global clients specifically we are opening many more doors for our company.





Highlighting our skill set:

One of the tasks said that by drawing out a list of of our skills and pros of our company would help to set a target market as we would know what kind of person would be attracted to our company. 



Who are our target audience? 

Another task said to answer a series of questions that would help us to define a target audience. 




The second set of questions were much harder to fill in but I gave it my best shot.


Niche audiences:

I think that the best way to market ourselves would be to identify a niche audience and a gap in the market for our services. I found this article online:


Looking at this document I think that our niche is quite hard to define, I think that in the first year of business it is so competitve and hard to set a specific type of person that we would work for. My personal opinion would be to work for local independent business owners in Leeds as a start and then branch out to larger companies internationally. 

__

To conclude I would say that our target audience would be independent business owners on a national scale, without the exclusion of global companies and people with quite a high disposable income to justify our costings. 


Comments for this entry

Leave your comment

 

Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.

RSS Feed. This blog is proudly powered by Blogger and uses Modern Clix, a theme by Rodrigo Galindez. Modern Clix blogger template by Introblogger.