You Are Reading

OUGD403 : Alphabet Soup - Evaluation











My word was Pop. I chose to represent this word through a repetitive illustration of a piece of popcorn which I made on Photoshop. I made each different by changing the size and the shape slightly. I am very happy with the result.

I think the majority of my designs worked very well apart from some of the thinner letterforms such as the I and the J. I think this is down to the typeface I chose. I am not sure at this point what I could do to overcome this as I think I have a lot to learn when it comes to type.

I do, however think the initial idea has worked really well. I particularly like how each letter form is clearly distinguished as I find simplistic more appealing that something which is extremely detailed and difficult to identify.

Crit

The crit we had I found very beneficial. We were split into groups of around 10 people. We had one minute to present our letterforms and we then had to pick our 5 favourites, I found this rather difficult as I chose to produce all of my letterforms in the same style whereas other people in my group produced a different design for each of their 10 letterforms. In the end I chose my A C E F and G. We stuck our chosen five to the wall along with a sticky note with our word written on it. Amber then made us rotate groups and work with other peoples letterforms. I thought this was a better way to crit our work as I don't particularly enjoy someone identifying the weaknesses in my work. 

One by one our groups had to remove someones letter form from the wall until we were left with the five strongest. One negative about this method of evaluation was the differing opinions of each person in my group. It took longer to choose our five favourites as we all had different ideas and interpretations. Overall I think as a group we worked very well together and had only a few disagreements.

Comments for this entry

Leave your comment

 

Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.

RSS Feed. This blog is proudly powered by Blogger and uses Modern Clix, a theme by Rodrigo Galindez. Modern Clix blogger template by Introblogger.